How Google is changing SEO
SEO (Search engine optimisation) is important because every second your website is not indexed by Google, you are missing out. Find out how Google is changing the way it indexes websites and how to take advantage of these changes in five easy steps.
Google has become a lot smarter in recent years. It is moving the goalposts of search engine optimisation. In 2011, Google started to penalise websites with duplicated content from other websites and sources. It has recently implemented a new system which punishes sites that have over optimised pages and no unique content.
Google is now focusing on the following factors for SEO
(1) Google favors websites that build their online community through social networking and sharing links. Before Google used to say that b
uilding back links from other websites was the key to achieving a high ranking. This was often mistreated and to increase page ranks, links were often sold on a massive scale.
(2) Google aims to make websites that are useful to the reader. If your content consists of well researched and useful information then Google will favour your site. Google used to use repetition of keywords inorder to rank a website highly.
(3) Google is now taking into account how many people talk about a website. How many people recommend it through social media. Google now connects keywords to social networks.
(4) Google sees +1′s and tweets and other types of social shares as an indicator of content quality and trustworthiness. Social sharing now has its biggest impact on standard search results. An example is a blog post with 1500 retweets, this has more value than a post with 5 retweets.
Take advantage of these changes in five easy steps
(1) Google wants you to write new content for your website often and look beyond the keywords.. This well researched and useful content, will rank you highly with Google.
(2) Strengthen and broaden your social connections to get more exposure on search engines. Position sharing buttons on your website so they are easy to find. Make it easy for people to share content. To actively engage in discussions on your website by introducing comments and asking for their feedback.
(3) Keep looking at better ways to bring people to your website and keep them coming back. Upload good quality content such as useful articles, interesting blog posts and web pages. These will really engage the reader and be highly regarded by google.
(4) Offer your services as a guest blogger. This is a great way to get some great link backs, gain exposure. Build relationships and achieve quality traffic to your website whilst providing useful content.
(5) Keep keywords to a minimum when using them in the page titles for your website. Page titles are the most important on page SEO element behind overall content. Page titles should be written for readers and not search engines.
The SEO landscape is always changing and Google has become more user oriented and now focuses on user experience and engagement. Content such as useful articles, interesting blog posts and web pages be highly regarded by google and give you a competitive edge.
Create content for users and not for search engines. Become active on social networks such as Twitter, Facebook, Linked In and Google Plus. Engaging in social media will do wonders for your SEO. Google also gives you preference if you are using its own social network Google Plus. Improve your link quality by linking to reviews, articles, interviews to do with the content that you have posted. Google will not rank you very highly if you fail to provide useful information to its end users.
At Hutchhouse we like to educate our clients about SEO, so that you have the knowledge to make your website perform to its best in the search listings. We offer a number of packages which help you plan your content strategy, from developing your news or blog content, to fine tuning your skills when it comes to web content publishing. Please feel free to contact us to chat about how we can help your company develop an effective web content strategy.