Catering for users on mobile and tablet devices, as well as desktop computers has always been a headache in terms of design. With the advent of HTML5 and CSS3 and the almost full adoption of these by mobile and tablet browsers the headache is replaced by a sensible, creative approach. Responsive web design.
What is responsive web design?
Responsive design is a concept which is ‘device agnostic’. The idea is that websites are optimised to be viewed in different ways on different sizes of screen, not on specific devices. If you look at our website on a smartphone, be it an iPhone, HTC or whichever brand, then it appears differently to that of the desktop version. It has been designed and laid out differently to work for users on smartphone screen resolutions. The same applies for tablets, be they Kindles, iPads, Galaxys, whatever.
What are the benefits of responsive design?
There are several benefits which provide better user experiences for the site user and the site owner alike.
The website user will benefit from responsive design because:
- The website content is consumable on any device
- Website functionality is not impaired because it is being used on a specific device
- Redundant or superfluous content can be removed from the user interface
- There is a consistent user experience across devices
The website owner will benefit because:
- In general there is no need for a separate mobile site
- The website has one domain and no mobile.domain.com
- There is no duplicate content to deal with in terms of content management or search engines
- Uses the latest standard compliant code
- Easily tailored for low bandwidth mobile use
- One codebase, easy updates and extension
- Consistent design/brand experience
To find out more about our responsive design services please contact us